Monday, March 25, 2013

William Lloyd SLEDGE

Noxubee County hospital where William was born. I
wonder how it looked in the 60's
PROFILE:

Name: William Lloyd SLEDGE

Known AKA: none

Surname Variations: SLUDGE/SLUDG

DOB: 22 Jun 1967 in Macon, Noxubee, Mississippi, USA

DOD: 22 Jun 1967 in Macon, Noxubee, Mississippi, USA

Father: Lee JOHNSON

Mother: Margaret Ruth SLEDGE

Siblings: Billy, Tara, Tina

Spouse: none

Children: none

TIMELINE:

22 Jun 1967: Birth in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, USA (1967 Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, USA death certificate)

22 Jun 1967: Death in Macon, Noxubee, Mississippi, USA (1967 Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, USA death certificate)

23 Jun 1967: Burial in unknown cemetery in Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, USA (1967 Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi, USA death certificate)

NOTES: Mama was six months into her second pregnancy and while out walking, she went into premature labor with William. He only lived for two hours and the loss was so painful that she could not bear to look at him. I do not know if he had a funeral but she said his father buried him [somewhere in Macon, Noxubee County]. When we visited Mississippi in 1985, we visited his grave and took pictures of the simple marker. There were so many tall grasses and weeds, we were told to be careful where we stepped because of snakes. I immediately thought of the cottonmouth moccasins for some reason although I didn't know if the cemetery was near any water. For obvious reasons, Mama did not like to talk about William's death so I could glean very little information from her. However she told me a lot about his father, if only I could remember his name. I hope one day, if he is still alive, he will read this page and contact me. I have so many questions that need answering and sadly Mama is not here to help me.

2 September 2012 update: Thanks to my brother Billy for asking Mama's sister, Edna, for the name of William's father. Thanks also to A'Edna! I hope to find out next if William's surname is SLEDGE or JOHNSON.

21 September 2013 update: At last I now know my brother's name full name and that he survived 9 more hours than was previously thought. Maybe I heard Mama wrong or she forgot. Even though Mama is actually a WILLIAMS, her mother gave her the Sledge surname. My brother Billy is really a SANDERS and William is a JOHNSON but Mama gave them the SLEDGE surname. There is something about that SLEDGE name! But I think the shocker was that it appears she named William after her brother, William Lloyd BELL (Uncle Cot). Its highly possible since Mama named Billy (Lil Bill) after Aunt Edna's husband, Billy DAVIS, due to his being in the Vietnam War. Maybe Mama did the same for Uncle Cot if he was in the Vietnam War? I will have to ask Aunt Edna.

16 October 2013: My sister Tina asked A'Edna and Uncle Cot if Mama named William after him. A'Edna then talked to Uncle Cot but either one of them knew. A'Edna and Tina think Mama did this because Uncle Cot was in the military at the time. I guess we'll never really know but its nice to think she would do that for her brother.

TRANSCRIPTION OF RECORDS

1967 Mississippi Death Certificate
Name: William Lloyd Sledge
Date of death: 22 Jun 1967
Place of death: Macon, Noxubee County, Mississippi
Father's name:
Mother's maiden name: Margaret Sledge
Informant: Margaret Sledge

Find A Grave Memorial
http://bit.ly/1dzhbf5
Name: William Lloyd Sledge
Birth: Jun. 22, 1967
Macon
Noxubee County
Mississippi, USA
Death: Jun. 22, 1967
Macon
Noxubee County
Mississippi, USA
Bio: http://bit.ly/1fOElRk
Family links:
Parents: Margaret Ruth Sledge Gregory (1950 - 2006)
Burial: Unknown
Specifically: Cemetery indicated as unknown on death certificate
Created by: Tara R. Gregory
Record added: Feb 09, 2014
Find A Grave Memorial# 124846907

Obituary/Funeral Program
None available as of this time.

Photo Credit: Noxubee County Economic and Community Development Alliance


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be nice. No spam allowed. Thank you.